|Wearin' our buttons for Pop! Socks, no. Buttons, yes.|
So maybe I missed the boat on the whole pre-Thanksgiving Giving Thanks thing...but I've compiled a nice little list of stuff that makes me exceptionally cheerful today.
5) My Dad is officially Dave: Unplugged. (From the wires and IVs and pokey things that make it hard to sleep.) Even though he's still in the hospital, he's now Mobile[ish] Dave. And that makes my heart grin.
4) My daughters, walking around this morning, had the following exchange-
Susannah: Nah Nah! My Nah Nah!
Nora (running into the room): Yes, my dear little sister! I am coming to you!
Susannah (happily): Nah Nah.
(It was practically a straight Chekov translation.)
3) While driving Nora to preschool, Marc Cohn's Walking In Memphis came on the radio. And I sang it to my kids via the rearview mirror. I sang that song. And they looked...confused. But polite. Zuzu gamely nodded her head along with me as I belted out Every. Last. Word. ("Ma'am I ammmmm tonight...")
2) As I walked between rooms, gathering laundry and shoes and sippy cups, I had a vivid flashback of playing Scattergories with my sibs over Thanksgiving. Particularly, the moment where my youngest sister attempted to convince us that a) "fennel cake" was a thing, and b) it could be purchased from a vending machine. Indignantly. For the next twenty-four hours. And for some reason, during that recollection, I laughed until I was in danger of doing that high-pitched-can't-breathe-squeal-of-she's-not-coming-back-from-this-one kinda laugh. (And it felt nice.)
1) Finally, after logging on to Facebook this morning, my heart done swole at the number of "likes" and messages of support for my Dad that have poured in from (quite literally) all over the world. That, combined with the texts, emails, phone calls, Tweets, Instagrams, and blog comments, makes for a pretty sweet Word doc for me to present to my [completely overwhelmed-with-all-the-love] father.
And so I'm happy.